5 Common Types of Cosmetic Dentist Procedures
Do you ever feel like there is a potential for your smile to be better-looking than it currently is? With modern dentistry, virtually anything is possible. People have had their smiles reconstructed into beautiful grins. This is what cosmetic dentistry comprises.
Before you deem cosmetic dentistry as merely the art of beautifying smiles, you should learn more about the processes and procedures involved in realizing the perfection of smiles.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
It is a dental specialty that handles all the aesthetic concerns of patients regarding their mouths. Usually, a dental expert in this specialty cares for the aesthetic appeal of the mouth as the primary goal.
Cosmetic dentistry is a specialty most sought after by adults who want to beautify their smiles. Different processes and procedures are involved in the perfection of a smile. In some cases, patients even need a complete smile makeover to realize the goals they have. This is why there are different types of cosmetic dental procedures.
Common Types of Cosmetic Procedures
For a perfect smile, you would need two or more cosmetic procedures. It usually depends on the state of your smile while you seek treatment. The following treatments are most common in cosmetic dentistry:
- Teeth whitening – is among the primary and basic processes of cosmetic dentistry. It involves brightening the color of teeth, usually after yellowing, staining, and discoloration. Teeth whitening can be done in different approaches, but the common one involves special dental whitening agents. They are placed on your teeth to bleach the enamel and the dentin, for best results.
- Dental veneers – they are tooth-shaped oral appliances that can cover all dental flaws you have in your teeth. Veneers are mostly used to cover cracks, chips, and breakages of teeth. They can also be used as alternatives for whitening your teeth, especially where stubborn stains are involved. The shell-like tooth appliances also benefit patients who want to reshape their teeth. If you have badly shaped teeth, say unusually short, they can be reshaped with oral veneers. Aside from that, veneers can also be used to close up imminent and existing spaces between your teeth. It substitutes the need to go through an extensive orthodontic treatment to close the gaps. It is almost safe to say that veneers are the most commonly used oral appliances in dentistry, because of how versatile they are in usage.
- Dental implants – they are metal fixtures inserted in your jawbone for replacing missing teeth. They replace the roots of teeth, so that other appliances like crowns and dentures can replace the crowns. However, dental implants do more for your aesthetic appeal than that. By the virtue that they are inserted in your jawbone, they improve your facial appearance. The dental implants promote bone regeneration, which supports the facial muscles. When your jawbone is healthy and you have no missing teeth, your face will look fuller and more youthful.
- Gum grafting – this is a procedure offered to patients who have suffered gum loss, common after periodontal disease. Gum recession exposes too much of your teeth, compromising the appearance and health thereof. Gum grafting surgery can help restore your smile and your overall dental health.
- Gum reduction surgery – on the flip side, too much gum tissue can also be problematic for your smile. When a lot of it is showing, it gives you a gummy smile so that very little of your teeth show when you smile. To rectify this cosmetic problem, dental experts put you through a surgical procedure to reduce the gum tissue, allowing more of your teeth to show when you smile.
Which Procedure Should You Try?
All the mentioned cosmetic procedures are safe for patients to try. If anything, your concern should be on how many of them you should have. However, this should not bother you too much, as your cosmetic dentist will guide you on the logistics. The important thing to know is that the beauty of your smile is according to your preferences. In that case, you have the freedom to pick and choose the procedures you want to achieve the results you desire.